This product is 100% MADE IN THE USA – Dallas, Texas. BlackIron BBQ’s TailGator smoker was manufactured for backyard and sports fans who enjoy quality BBQ but have limited space for large traditional smokers. This versatile double-walled smoker can be used on a table top, the ground, or on the optional trailer hitch adapter as shown. Great for tailgating or camping! Oh and with the BlackIron’s line of smokers a “BLANKET” is NOT required.
Have a question? Feel free to contact us and speak to a live person 972-479-0699 or toll free 1.866.6.G2ATEC.
For more detailed instructions on how to use your PitViper BBQ Smoker please refer below to the additional information tab.
|Dimensions||3 SqFt Cooking Space
18”W x 12”D x 33”H
|Features||• 16 Gauge Double Walled Mild Steel
• Bottom Fire Box W/Elevated Wood Rack
• 304 Stainless Steel Removable Water Pan
• Heavy Duty Hinges and Ball Handle Latches
• High Temperature Fiberglass Flange-Mount Seals
• 3″ Tel True Glow In The Dark Temperature Gauge – Made In The USA
• Leveling Feet
• Adjustable Stack Exhaust
• Multiple Colors Available
|Options||• Trailer hitch bar attachment SKU# BiBBQ-TG-HITCH
• Diamond Plate Detailing – SKU# BiBBQ-DPD-TG
• TailGator Rack Stand – SKU#BiBBQ-TG-STAND
• College Badging – SKU# BiBBQ-COL-BD
|Custom||Since we manufacture everything in-house at our facility in Dallas, TX, this product can be customized to your exact specifications.|
Out of stock
The TailGator smoker was manufactured for backyard and sports fans who enjoy quality BBQ but have limited space for large traditional smokers. With its integrated design, the TailGator can be used as a standalone product or joined in conjunction with our TailGator series of products like sinks, grills, flag poles, and optional trailer hitch kit. Designed after our full size PitViper Series, these smokers include dual wall insulated frames and three removable shelves. The insulated design and internal water/juice reservoir capitalizes on internal chamber temperatures reducing the need for large scale heat sources. Built to last these smokers will provide years of smoking bliss.
Why did we create the Tailgator Series of BBQ smokers?
For years we searched, tried and experimented with numerous commercial smokers. Most of the products lacked certain elements or failed to maintain heat over extended cooking times. The biggest issue was quality. Most of the higher end commercial restaurant BBQ Smokers literally started falling apart after 12-16 months of use. As a manufacturing facility located in Dallas, TX we used our experience in designs, metal selections and fabrication to build a BBQ pit that will last decades.
Frame and Box Design:
Tailgator BBQ Smokers are designed for years of use with minimum maintenance and repair. Featuring 16 gauge mild steel double insulated walls, our smokers hold temperatures better and utilize less heat to maintain cooking temperatures. Another advantage double insulated walls provide is limiting external environmental conditions like rain or temperature fluctuations. This design also reduces the heat typically felt on the outside of other single wall design smokers.
Water Trap: Integrated within each Tailgator BBQ smoker is a 16 gauge 304 stainless steel water trap. This pan can be filled with water or other juices to help keep meats moist, but can also be used to reduce internal temperature if the fire box exceeds your cooking temperature. The water trap also includes a drain for easy removal of excess liquids and can also be equipped with an external fill switch to add water during cooking.
Cooking Surface: Depending on the model purchase most Tailgator series BBQ smokers have a number of removable cooking trays and one additional open slot. These trays can be configured or removed depending on the meat being smoked or an additional tray can also be purchased.
Vertical Smoke Cookers: All Black Iron BBQ smokers utilize vertical design fire boxes. These designs allow for the heat to be directly located beneath the water pan, and let the heat and smoke slowly rise around the cooking area and meats. Due to the internal design and insulation the smokers require less materials to maintain temperatures allowing the cook more time to focus on other duties.
The internal design of the fire box contains 3 key sections.
1. Elevated Wood Rack: Located below the water pan and above the charcoals, the direct heat provides a direct heat to smoke the wood vs traditional boxes using wood and charcoal together.
2. Charcoal Pan: The charcoal pan sits above the ash pan and easily slides out of the fire box for initial and additional addition of charcoal.
3. Ash Pan: The ash pan sits directly below the charcoal pan and provides an easy way to collect and remove ash from the fire box.
|Dimensions||24 × 24 × 40 in|
3 SqFt Cooking Space
• 3 SqFt Cooking Space
|How To Leveling Your Tailgator Smoker||
There are 4 leveling feet located under the smoker. They can be screwed out or in depending on the direction you need the pit to go. We recommend utilized a small level on all sides to ensure everything is level.
|Preparing The Fire In The Fire Box||
Preparing the Fire Box
Smoking is the process of cooking by indirect heat and usually takes several hours at low temperatures to obtain your desired results. A critical step in achieving your goals is to maintain a steady temperature throughout the cooking process. This can be achieved and mastered by anyone with a little practice on your new PitMaster BBQ Smoker
2. At this time we will begin adding some pecan, mesquite or other preferred smoking wood to the grate directly above the charcoal pan onto the wood cradle.
3. Over the next few hours you should monitor the wood and add additional pieces as necessary to maintain a solid smoke base to our meats, but also prolong our BBQ temperature. In rare cases it may be necessary to add additional charcoal on longer cooking meats. We highly recommend that charcoals be heated and prepared in a charcoal chimney first before placing back into the smoker. The charcoals should be an ash or white in color before adding. This is not something we recommend or is really needed.
|How To Season Your Tailgator||
Seasoning your Tailgator BBQ Smoker
Although you’re new PitViper Smoker has been initially cleaned and degreased at the factory it’s important that we perform and initial seasoning that will remove any remaining containments, but also remove any potential odors that remain from production. Look inside the smoker chamber and see if any visual containments are present. If so you can wash the inside with mild soap and water and then allow to air dry.
2. Fill a starter chimney with charcoal, once hot add to charcoal pan in fire box. At this time you can add some wood.
3. The next step is to heat the smoker up to 250-275 degrees for at least 2 hours. Water is not necessary at this point during the curing process.
4. Once the initial 2 hours has passed open the doors and allow the fire to die off and the smoker to air cool.
Congratulations, at this point you are now ready to start smoking some quality BBQ